This drivers will make the connection to your MTK device possible form a Windows 10 PC on a 32 or 64 bit configuration. The drivers that you will find on this page are unsigned so if you are running Windows 10 64 bit you are required to temporary disable the driver signature verification enforcement in order to be able to install.
For Installing on Windows 10
To determine the version of Windows 10 that you have (32 bit or 64 bit):
- Right-click on Start then click on System
- In the System window that opens, in System section, you will find your version of Windows next to System type
- Windows 10: 64 bit or 32 bit? How to find out?
To disable Windows 10 64 bit driver signature enforcement:
- On your 64 bit Windows 10 desktop click on Start then on Settings
- Click on Update & security then in the left pane click on Recovery
- Under Advanced startup click on Restart now button
- Click on Troubleshoot then on Advanced options
- Click on Startup Settings then on Restart button
- The computer will restart with the Startup Settings screen
- To disable the driver signature enforcement until next restart press on number key 7 or F7 on your keyboard.
- After restart you can proceed with the unsigned MTK drivers installation for your 64 bit Windows
- After you install the unsigned drivers, to use them again in the future, you have to repeat this procedure
To install the MTK VCOM USB Drivers on 32 & 64 bit Windows 10:
- Download the drivers *.zip archive and extract the folder from inside on to the desktop:
- Download Windows 10 MTK VCOM USB Preloader Drivers
- Right-click on Start then click on Device Manager
- In the Device Manager Window click on the first item – your computer name
- Click on Action then Add legacy hardware
- On the Welcome to the Add hardware Wizard window click on Next button
- Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and then click on Next button
- Click on Show All Devices then on Next button
- In the Add Hardware window click on Have Disk… button
- In the Install From Disk window click on Browse… button
- In the next window – Locate file – browse for the folder that you have extracted on the desktop at the beginning
- Select the version of the driver according to your Windows 10 version – x64 for 64 bit and x86 for 32 bit and click Open button
- Click the OK button to load the driver
- From the list of drivers select MTK USB Port and click on Next button
- If a red warning window will open, click on Install this driver software anyway
This action will add the following drivers in to the operating system:
- MediaTek DA USB VCOM Port
- MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port – for transferring the firmware to your device
- MTK USB DEBUG Port
- MTK USB Modem Port
- MTK USB port – for transfering PreLoader to your device (and recovery in case of bad or corrupt firmware)
Now we need to remove the device that we have installed but leave the drivers in the operating system.
To do that, in the Device Manager window we expand Ports (COM & LPT) section
- Right-click and click Uninstall on the MTK USB Port
- In the Confirm Device Uninstall window make sure that the box Delete the driver software for this device is empty
- You need to leave the drivers in the operating system and only remove the device that you added
- Click on the OK button to finalise
For Installing on Windows 8/8.1
Important notice for windows 8, 8.1 and 10 PC users
You need to disable drivers signature verification for this to work smoothly, see http://forum.hovatek.com/thread-752.html for the procedure
If you have access to a working phone of the same model then remove the battery from the working phone and connect to PC via USB cord. Mediatek preloader VCOM drivers should be automatically installed so you can skip the rest of this guide. Proceed if automatic installation doesn’t work
# See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/sADkzyI8Z5Q
1. Install USBDeview and use it to uninstall all Vcom, Mediatek and Preloader drivers (see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-7660.html )
1b. Extract the contents of the Mediatek USB VCOM file above
2. In Windows, go to Control Panel and open Device Manager
3. Click any of the device groups (any of the items on the list) you see there, then from Action menu at the top, select Add legacy hardware
4. The Add hardware wizard will be launched, click Next
5. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next
6. Click Next
6b. Click Have Disk…
7. Click Browse… and locate your driver’s .inf file then select it (the .inf you’re to select is located in drivers > USB Vcom driver > your OS) .
* Ensure to select the 64 bit .inf if your PC is 64 bit and the other if your PC is a 32 bit PC
* If you’re using a Windows 8 PC then install the Windows 7 drivers
8. Click Open and OK. You will see the drivers listed
9. Select your driver there (select Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port) then Click Next
9b. Click Next
10. Click Finish. Ignore the Code 10 error. You’re getting it because you have installed an unsigned driver
10b. Your drivers should now appear on the list. Ignore the yellow warning triangle. You’re getting it because you have installed an unsigned driver
* If SP flash tool or other software still dont detect your phone then also install Mediatek DA VCOM (consider installing more from the list of drivers one at a time if need be )
* If you get the code 10 error after the installation, simply ignore it and proceed with SP flash tool. You’re only getting that error because the driver is not digitally signed.
For Installing on Windows 7/XP/Vista
Download VCOM Drivers from the above link and extract the file to your desktop. Make sure you download it properly. You must be a profession in the game and or if you want me to give guides on how to extract it won’t be that difficult. I am running on Win7 here, but you should be able to follow these steps on win8 as well (that’s if you are an expert in the game). So from desk top click on start button and move the course to the search bar saying “search programs and files” then type in device manager. Win8, I believe you can locate you Pcs search bar. It’s somewhere at the right screen side. Take the course to the other end and a searching icon should slide out.
After typing in “device manager” windows would give you some
list of result based on the keywords, there just select “device manage”. Click
From the displayed window, you should have s list of Devices running with you system, click/highlight any of the items there and move the cursor to the “Action” link from the menu bar. From the options, select “add legacy hardware.
Now, you should have a new window on you screen that raises; “Welcome to the Hardware Wizard! If your hardware came with an installation of blah blAH, who cares to read that? Click on Next!
Then, a new window will appear asking you what you want the wizard to do, well, from the options there tick on “Install the driver I manually select from a disk (advance)” and of course click on Next! Yes, the new window says; from the list below select the type of hardware you are installing. Highlight the “Show all device” then Next.
On the new window, select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. You are gonna browse the path now, I mean the file you
extracted earlier. Now click on “Have Disk” from the window. Click on browse from the dialogue that pops up.
You extracted the VCOM Drivers folder to you desktop, browse it and open the folder, there should be a folder in side, Open it, then open “USB VCOM Drivers” from the three folders. Now, it is left to you to decide the set of OS you are using, open the appropriate one select either “usb2ser_Win7.inf” (for 64 bit) or “usb2ser_Win764” for 86bit and click on ok.
From the model, click on Mediek Preloader USB VCOM Port and kindly click next. Ignore driver not digitally signed caution. Next, next, and finally, wait for the installation to complete. A window will come up saying the software for the device is then installed and may not work. This might get you bothered but don’t worry. It will work fine. Ignore the (Code 10) blah and click finish.
Noticing Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port (COMXX) is indicating the installed drivers. You can now flash whatever as the PC is now able t detect your device.